Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Culture Crazy - DIY Sour Cream

This week, I started fermenting foods, and I haven't stopped.  I never realized just how good sour things could be until I came across using bacteria for my personal gain.  Just by putting certain cultures in dairy products for certain amounts of time leads to pretty awesome conclusions that can heal your gut and make you feel even better!  One you probably eat regularly is sour cream!  And here's how simple it is to make.

You take 1 cup of cream and two tablespoons of buttermilk and mix them in a glass bowl.  You can also use kefir or yogurt instead of buttermilk to culture the cream, though I have no idea what the difference in which culture you use would be.  When I find out, I'll let you know.



Then you let it sit on the counter for 12-18 hours.  Next time, I think I'll let it sit about 24 simply because I like it more sour than what 18 hours did.  Once that time has passed, you put it in the fridge.  Once it cools, its ready to use/eat.



Easy, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment